Top 5 restaurants discovered in 5 months in South East Asia
South East Asia is my favorite playground – I love traveling here, discovering the neighboring countries, so close and yet so different. Each culture requires to be approached and discovered little by little – the food, or makan in malay is a good angle to do so.
So below is a little summary of my favorite discoveries while traveling when I could during the last 5 months – only few days each time, and always so much bliss!
***** click on the restaurant name for more details *****
- Indiana Kenangan, Nusa Lembongan – Indonesia : definitely my favorite discovery of these last months. The scenery is perfect, in an elegant yet laid back atmosphere, overseeing the beach and the surfers while tasting an amazing Foie gras with crispy japanese apple. Some champagne to go with it and you are in for a treat, in the most unexpected of place – this island is, contrary to Bali, very authentic and still unspoiled, hence the quite surprising contrast of finding this french chef who did his classes at the 3 Michelin stars restaurant of Le Bristol, Paris.
- The coast, Shangri La – Kota Kinabalu, Borneo: In a floor to ceiling window restaurant, on the beach, this intimate yet modern trendy place will make you feel spoiled as soon as you set foot inside. It is easily one of the most stylish and classy restaurant in Kota Kinabalu, and actually the food tastes fabulous – gourmet poached farm egg is perfection and shouldn’t be missed
- DB Bistro moderne, Singapore: Foodies and travelers are familiar with the internationally renowned chef Daniel Boulud, who can create high end , classy and Michelin awarded restaurants from New York to Singapore – while using the concept of the french Bistro. The signature dish, Saffron tagliolini will make your life complete.
- ABC, Kuala Lumpur – Malaysia: in an industrial chic and modern atmosphere, come and try some handsome salads, pasta al dente with season vegetables, indulge on the super tempting cakes (try the olive oil one, a super surprise), while sipping some Cloudy bay or a specialty cocktail made by a professional mixologist. ABC is perfect for every occasion – breakfast, business coffee, brunch, lunch, lovey dovey dinner and apero. I am very fond of it and found it totally deserved its award of best restaurant of the year, by TimeOut KL
- Fisherman’s, Koh Phangan – Thailand: It’s famous and rightly so – this thai & western owned restaurant has been created by a fisherman family and serves super fresh seafood t a very reasonable price. I also have a crush on the old fishing boats, still with their traditional ornaments, used as dining areas. The service is spotless, the food is local / western and seafood and is simply brilliant.
List is subject to modification according to the next travels!
Food in KL, travels, restaurants, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand